Monday, November 3, 2014

Finally!

Things I have done so far this morning:
-woke up
-made baleadas for breakfast
-got ready to leave
-no water, decided I'll just shower when I get home in the afternoon
-left to go get money out
-couldn't. The entire weekend all the banks were closed because of a holiday and this morning the  ATM's didn't work, didn't have money, or the lines were an hour long
-we decided to go home and chill out for a bit
-left again, still the problem with the money so we went to write
-the lights were out
-we went to another internet cafe, lights were back, but this place was more expensive
-back to the first, the lights were back, so went to write president
-internet went down
-stopped for a quick bread and juice break
-finally at our third internet cafe

But that's how life is in Nacome!

Oh yeah, I'm in Nacaome!

Things I knew about Nacaome before I came here:
-It's the hottest city in my mission
-it is very beautiful!

Well, they were right!

And my new companion is.....
HERMANA BRIONES!
Things you should know about Hermana Briones (bree-own-ez)
-she is from Santo Domingo, Ecuador (shout out to Jason!) 
-she is 20
-she has 3 months to be serving the Lord
-that is definitely her naturally curly hair. I love it and tell her it looks like a doll and probably pull down on them to watch them jump back up at least 100 times a day
-she was studying to be A NURSE!
-she is ALWAYS ready to laugh with me
-...or make me laugh. The other day she started skipping and said, "la la la, I'm Hermana Snelson! I love to sing and dance! La la la!" it was probably the funniest thing I've ever seen.

And here we are! 

Things we have done this week:
There have been lots of people who have "stood in need of comfort" My first night I was here we went to a member's house who had recently died. Her daugher isn't a member and was histerical. I whipped out my hymn book and sang for her. Well, that pattern followed over the following days. There was one investigator, Lesly who was just bawling. Hermana Briones came in, and she told us that her husband was unfaithful and she was going to take her baby and go to Tegucigalpa. I just looked at her crying saying a silent prayer because I had absolulety nothing to say! I have never been married, had a baby, or lived in a situation like this. What advice could I offer? We just invited her to pray, and help the Lord make the best decision for her and her son.
We didn't see her after that until she showed up to church on Sunday! She's friends with a family who are members so she came with them. We were so excited!

And something funny.... A recent convert's grandfather died so we went to the "viewing" It seemed so funny to me, in the street in front of the house people were just there, sitting, doing nothing. We went in to find the recent convert, Edgar, who was just crying and tried our best to consol him, then said we were going to sing. I started following everyone and we went in the room where the casket was. Well, it was business as usual... everyone just sitting around. until.... this chick walks up and is laying over the casket (which is covered in glass) and she was bawling the entire time and banging her hands against the casket while we were singing. You know, the usual stuff :)

Love you so much!
-The sweaty and happy Hermana Snelson
My best friend, the goat. He tried to eat my skirt, but I gave him some of my bread and now we're best friends!

No comments: