Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Buenas!

Hey- the church is full of indexers this week, which means I'm in an internet cafe which means no pictures... which means more next week! Wahoo!

First: thanks to Aaron Michael Weaver and Rachel Hei Chow for the letters, loved them so much!

The Family Salines: They're great! We wish they would just read the Book of Mormon... I feel like they change on the daily. One day Rosa is super pumped about the church and loves it and the next day she's wishy washy. It's the same with Katherine, the oldest. Pretty much this entire past week she was "busy" and sleeping anytime we came but last night she was participating and everything. Our biggest focus is to help them as a family, strengthen their relationship with each other. Golly, I can say with certainty I am so so glad for my family and that we all love each other. A couple lessons ago we decided to set goals with them- for that day, the next day, one week, one month, 6 months, 1 year, 5 years, and 10. One of Katia's goals was to still talk to her family in 5 years, and for the next month have family prayer. Last night we talked about the role (family proclamation) everyone, not just the moms and dads have in for the family. Then we made everyone go around and say one thing that they will do for every member of the family. The girls goals with each other was just to talk to each other with kindness. 
I'll tell you this much- they love us as people. It doesn't matter if Rosa doesn't always want to listen to what we're going to say, they definitely want to be our friends. The other night they invited us to go to market with them. So they told me it would be outdoor so I guess I was expecting the swap meet in Hawaii. Disclaimer: not the swap meet in Hawaii. Rolando told me this was one of the tamer markets here. Awesome. We went to the store section first: sugar, flour, oil, toilet paper. Everyone is holding out money, shouting what they want while there's 10 people running around in this tiny store trying to find everything everyone wants and give them their correct change. Then we went to the meat section. Just a ton of tiny little stalls with all of this pig, cow, and chicken hanging up and you just walk up and they just chop off the part you want. The sea food section was the coolest. Literally anything you'd see while snorkeling was there. Crab legs, sea cucumber, literally, everything. And last night, we were walking towards their house when Rolando calls and asks where we were. Confused we said walking towards the house and he says "well good! We're waiting for you to eat dinner" Well, alright then. (something you learn in the mission, never turn down food)
There's a lot of work to be done, but a lot of progress that has been made as well, so I'm happy :)

Jose: We met Jose when we taught his Mom Miriam who we had to drop because she kept saying she was too busy to read the book of mormon. He went to church yesterday, and loved it. Everytime we talk to him he keeps saying that we have such good things. Yesterday after church at our appointment I asked if he had anything he wanted to say to begin. He said, "Look, there's just one thing I don't understand... Why do so many people dislike the Mormons? I mean, the Book of Mormon?  It's good! It's from God! And when I went to church today? Everything was good! It's all from god! I don't understand why all these people say bad things about the church." We taught Word of Wisdom and there's problems there (no surprise :) ) but also a ton a ton of potential.

Unfortunately these are our only progressing investigators- everyone else was either dropped or said they didn't want to learn from us.

But I'm good! I'm happy! I'm currently full of tortillas, avocado, eggs, beans, and mantaquilla, and you know? I couldn't be happier :)

Love you all to bits!

Hermana Snelson

No comments: