Monday, September 23, 2013

All the Talents

 Mission lesson I learned this week:
If you are going to write yourself over to the Lord, he is going to use your talents, but he is going to use all of your talents. That´s already been apparent by me helping people with their math homework and teaching English. But I love the moments where I do something that I definitely never would have thought I´d be using here in Honduras.

This is Gabrielle.
 Gabrielle´s parents came to the English classes a few weeks ago, and they brought her the next week. She´s deaf, and has been her whole life so she can´t really talk. She is the nicest, sweetest, lovable girl. Anyway, I spoke in sign language (american sign language that is... they´re a little different, but I´m learning!) to her and she got so excited. Obviously :) The rest of the English class she followed me around like a little puppy dog. 
But guys, here´s the coolest part, she´s learning English! She is learning to read and write. So if you are ever feeling frustrated that you can´t learn a language, just let someone who is deaf inspire you!
Anyway, we´re best friends and she´s always asking to see my pictures and how my day was. 

2) A couple weeks ago we were at a members house. I was off talking to another missionary, and the member asked about the scars on my legs, and Hermana C. explained that they´re from when I lived in Hawaii. So then Hermana R. asked if I could Hula, and C. said yes.
So this led to the idea of me dancing for Relief Society. 
Well, two weeks ago we got a new Relief Society President. We went to meet with her and asked if there was anything we could do to help her. I put the idea that we had enrichment night and someone could share a talent. Like a chef could teach a recipe, and a seamstress could teach how to sew. So I was, "and I mean, I can hula, so I could teach that or something...." and she jumped into action and said that she was going to have a birthday part for everyone in Relief Society and we could make it Hawaiian themed and I could teach a dance.

Well, alright then.

There were going to be 6 of us, but it ended up with 3 which was fine. They learned it in one day 
 and I´m so proud of them!
 We had a ton of fun, and after all the ladies in relief society came up and danced with us which was even funnier. 


The work is progressing here. The elders (there´s 4 in the ward) had 5 baptisms and a wedding this last week! Hermana C and I are learning patience and love, that´s the only way we can teach these people and help them realize that they want and need the blessings of this gospel in their life. 








 
Now some more pictures: 

 We took these with the family salines the other night.

Well... we were going to play a joke on you and say this is where we live (it´s an abandoned house in the middle of the park in front of our house), but you can see an example of the poorer places here. 


 and in other great news....I got a bag of bananas, 3 tomatoes and 2 apples for 2 bucks!
 
Gotta love honduras:)



Love you!

Hermana Snelson


 P.S. A great big thank you to Matthew Baird (who leaves the MTC this week for Texas!), Aaron Weaver (who has been called to Mexico!), Mother Anderson, and Sister Holly Butler (my CCM comp) for the lovely letters I got from them this week! And a package from Brooke, that I think will be in my hands today!

No comments: