Saturday, July 6, 2013

Hello hello from CCM!

Hello hello hello! Shoutouts: -to Aaron Weaver and Heidi Pops for their adorable letters! -to another DearElder from Mother Anderson. -to my dear Tynan who enters the MTC TODAY! -and to Justin Anderson who is companions with Timpview's own Austin Fullmer! It's a small mormon world after all!! Last p-day we went to the Mercado!

 It was tons of fun and really good Spanish practice! :) I taught all the girls how to haggle before we left (thanks mom) and I was so proud to see their skills!!! I managed to get myself a cute Guatemalan dress and beautiful woven headband... not too many things because I want to just get more in Honduras, but it was an incredible experience and everyone in my district agreed that it just made us a ton more excited for the field! Yes mom, I got myself a kangaroo pack and I love it!! It is beautiful and had my name and my mission on it and I already use it a ton.

 Hermana Butler and I and our entire district ship out the same day. That's how they assign districts. Some of them are staying here in Guatemala so they take the van but for the rest of us, we get to get up at 2 am next Tuesday and all go the airport together. There are a lot of sisters going to Comayaguela, and one Latina going to TEG, so we will all be flying together which will be so much fun. It's crazy that my time is already ending at the CCM but I am so so so excited to go out to the field. The new group only had 4 sisters in it! So small, but still good. :) Last week we were in class at a church by the temple when we see 2 pairs of eyes and little hands outside the window. We said hi, but they of course were extremely shy because everyone acts like we are white gods, or something. We talked to them and you know, it is sooo much easier talking to kids because they talk slow and use big words, and have no problem correcting you or helping you find the right word. We asked their names, ages, (6 and 8) asked them if they liked primary, and if they wanted to be missionaries too. They love primary and love to sing and told us they want to be like their cousins and teach the gospel. They had to go because their cousin was calling to them. Later we were walking back to the chapel after lunch when they ran up yelling "misionarias misionarias!!!" We ran up, hugged, and kissed them (there were 2 more now) and talked to them for a little bit. One of the girls asked if she could take a picture, so we took a picture with all the hermanas in my district and then all the little girls took pictures with each of us. It was adorable! One of the senior missionaries from the CCM took a picture as well... so Hopefully I should be able to get that... eventually. So! on Sunday We got up and got all prepared. The way it works is everyone prepares a lesson with their companion for Sunday school and a talk for sacrament meeting and they randomly get called on. So we go to Sunday school to see that Branch President is there (usually its the CCM 1st counselor, Brother Johnson, who was sick) so of course he picks on me because we are best friends ever since Butler and I sang in sacrament meeting. So that punk picked me and we did fine. The key is to ask a lot of questions and just follow up after (si, es verdad! o, oh si, es me favorito parte!) So the lesson went great. :) We get to sacrament meeting where they call one person from every district. the first speaker was elder halling from my district who has really been struggling with the language. He was nervous, but did great. My district did the musical number (we should be sending that as well....) and it was amazing. President stands up to announce the last 2 speakers... Hermana Larson... and me. Seriously presidente?? when I got up there I said (in spanish) "i would like to thank president for the opportunity to talk so much today! First in Sunday school, then to sing, and now I get to speak to you." Then I turned around and said gracias. Well... long story short I wasn't prepared.... good one Aubs. One of the most humbling experiences... just when I thought I was off the hook. The topic was enduring to the end and I talked about my parents and how they have been examples of doing the Lords will. First how my Dad gained his testimony of the Book of Mormon, then decided to serve a mission, and then his willingness to serve a mission again. I spoke of how my parents are great examples to me of enduring to the end and knowing that we often have to choose Gods will, and not our own. Did I mention it was all in Spanish? President thanked me after, but I told him I better be off the hook next Sunday. Oooh and I gave the closing prayer in a meeting, so at snack time that night a bunch of the other kids were joking that this entire place would have fallen apart on Sunday if it weren't for me. Ha. This will be my last e mail for about 2 weeks because I won't be able to e mail next week. Thank you to everyone for all of your support. I feel so much power and comfort going out in the field knowing that I have my own royal army behind me all the way. Love you all! hermana Snelson





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and there you are! being a missionary! doing the whole sunday and looking forward to actually being a field white skirt!

did I tell ya brit's been thru the temple? yeah, and last week asked me to go with her - I hope that's a regular thing

had 4th of july - parade, donuts, bagpipes, nap, family feast and games - nicole and fam and sean & loran came - it was fun

thinking and praying for you (and alllllllllll the other ones on the Lord's errand!)

love greg