Monday, July 22, 2013

Coquetar por bautizar!‏

Hello everyone!! :)

Just an FYI: My pday is always on Monday, so if you want to email me by Sunday night, then I will be able to read them! 
First, the title. So our Zone leader was at the house the other night checking up on us and was asking about our investigators. We explained how we were wanting more people to come to church and he says, ¨Hermana you gotta coquetar por bautizar¨ I was so confused so he turns to his companion to demonstrate. It was flirting! I think the best thing was just watching him acting like he was flirting. But anyway, now you know the spanish equivilant of flirt!:) 

My companion, Hermana C said it again when we were planning the other night. We did not have many appointments for the day and so we decided that we should just open our mouth. We are not allowed to knock doors- too dangerous. so we just talk to people in the street. I said yeah, and wrote it in my schedule. Then she asked how many besos I had gotten that day. Since I am white, random people will yell out anything they know in English: usually my love! or pretty lady! or blow kisses at me, and Hermana C said that we just have to talk to them! yeah... because that would go over well.....ha!



In other recent news, I got my first marriage proposal of the mission! He was actually pretty clever.... We invited him to church, and he said, ¨why don´t you come to my church with me? Maybe we can get married?¨ good one... The elders asked me how I responded but I had no clever spanish come back. Ah well :)

Now the serious stuff:

The other night Hermana C and I were doing companionship inventory which is where we can give compliments, and tell each other things each other needs to work on. I asked if there was anything I needed to improve and she said, ¨nope! You´re perfect!¨to which I laughed, then said, no, seriously, is there anything I need to do?
She got really quiet, and started crying. She and her companion before did not get along too well, and Hermana C said that it was so so frustrating for her. She found out the day before I came that her companion was going home and she was getting a new companion. She said she was praying that night and asking heavenly father to please send her someone who would work,  who loved the gospel and had the same goals as her, to share it with as many people as possible. She looked at me and said, ¨You are my answer. You´re here, and you´re the answer I´ve been waiting for.¨
Well, obviously at this point we´re both bawling and I told her that the Sunday before I came was fast Sunday. Per Chad´s suggestion I decided to fast for my trainer. As I prayed to open my fast I thought about the things that I wanted: patient, loving, a love for the gospel and a want to work hard. As I knelt there, I realized that having a trainer who spoke english just was not important to me. And you know, everything has worked out perfectly. I learn more and more of the language everyday because I´m forced to talk in it all of the time. and I learn so much from her. The Lord really does know what he is doing.

We had one investigator go to church yesterday! Her name is Francesca, about 60 and probably the most hilarious person I have ever met. The instant she found out my parents are in Africa and I won´t see them for a long time she said, Well, I´ll just be your abuelita! She has so many doubts and we try and try to ask her to pray but she just does nothing. We´ll have to drop her if nothing happens because the missionaries before us taught her. We´re going to teach her with our District leader on Tuesday and see what happens. 




I say it in my prayers, but I am so grateful for this unexpected opportunity to be sitting here in Honduras, writing to my parents in Africa and all my friends in all other parts of the world. I love you all so much and am grateful for every single one of your examples.

Have a great week!

No comments: