Monday, June 9, 2014

How do you know?‏

Hi everyone!

Anyone who has sent me letters.... I Haven't gotten them yet. Hopefully tomorrow at Zone Conference, we'll see! :)

Carol is 20 and is studying Math at the University. She is VERY Evangelical. We found her walking one day, she was outside washing clothes and we went over to start talking with her. We asked if we could come over, and she said sure!

I wasn't there the first lesson, but Hermana Carias found out that the missionaries visited her mom before. They never talked to Carol because she was always studying. We've been teaching her for a month and she would constantly say, 

"This is amazing, I never knew this before!" or "oh my gosh it says this in the bible?!"?!" 
She is so darling and so sweet. But every time we asked if she had prayed she said the same thing, "Oh Hermanas, I just haven't been able to pray with FAITH. I've been praying, but I know that if I want an answer, I have to truly ask him!"

Which is good, but she won't stop going to the Evangelical Church until she has her answer.

Last time we were there (Saturday) we asked if she got the answer. She got quiet, and looked at me. 
"Hermanas, I BELIEVE I got my answer, But I'm not 100 percent sure."
 We talked about Alma 32 (did I mention she is reading the Book of Mormon?) which she had just finished reading about how if we just have the smallest belief, God can help that to grow. I said that I still feel like my faith and testimony is a sapling, and I'm just trying to get it to be a great big tree.

Then she looked at us,
 "But Hermana, you were born in the church right? You've gone to the same church your entire life. How can you say this? How do you know that it's true?"

I sat there. Then quickly remembered. 

When we had gone to the temple just days before I sat in the temple. I sat there crying, overwhelmed with gratitude and just pure happiness. "Heavenly Father," I said, "I know that this church is true. I am so grateful for this knowledge and I will NEVER DENY IT. I don't care what happens, I know that this is true, and I will stop at nothing to share this truth."

This was the moment. I knew that I had to speak to Carol with the spirit so I said a silent prayer then said,
"Carol, I know that this is hard for you. I know that you have gone to your church for 10 years and that it has helped and guided you for you. I'm grateful that God put you in the Evangelical church! But now is the time. God wants you to be able to be in His true church. And what we are saying is that this is the only one. The only doctrine that will teach you the things you need to be saved. And the only way that you can truly be baptized. I know it, because everytime I share my testimony I can feel the Holy Ghost and I just know, without a doubt that these things are true. I am so happy that you believe, and I know that if you keep praying and reading the Book of Mormon, then you will be able to know."

I just love this work :)

-Hermana Snelson
(my pictures aren't working for some reason, sorry! But just imagine me smiling enthusiastically, and loving Honduras :D )

No comments: