Sunday, March 9, 2014

Things that happened

Hi! I don't have much time to write and can't send pictures, but several things happened! :)
 
1. One of our less actives, Juan Carlos, is making great progress. 
(he's the one that we took pictures of his little girl playing with the slinky, and of him sitting in the hammock eating watermelon.) We went over and he told us,
 "Hermana's, I haven't paid tithing in over a year and a half, but I paid it last Sunday, and have already made 3 times more then I usually make." 
It was great seeing that he is growing and being strengthened. I truly have learned how important all the commandments are- ALL the commandments are. He looked at it as something little and simple, but truly was able to see the difference. He didn't go to church today :( but we have a deal that if he goes 3 times in a row I'll bake for him (in one of the few ovens I've seen here)
 
2. Carmen is one of our most positive investigators. We met her in the street then went to visit her the next day. It turns out that her mom, Santos was visited by Hermana Concoha previously, but we found no information in the Area Book so we just went with it. By the time we taught the 3rd lesson Carmen was asking when she could be baptized. She's 14years old so obviously we need permission, but she is so amazing! Last Sunday she brought 4 people to church with her. But alas, didn't go today. We went with a member on Saturday to ask for permission from her dad. Oooh, it was rough. It's so sad seeing someone who is so closed off. The thing is, the spirit was there. I KNOW that he knows that this is something good for his daughter. His argument was that she has already been baptized. But she's not even going to that church anymore! Keep her in your prayers, she needs some love. We hope that she can continue. I've met people who attended the church for YEARS waiting until they could be baptized.
 
3. Lila is amazing too! One night we were walking to a members house when we see this guy sitting outside. So we go up, introduce ourselves, and made an appointment for the next day. His name is Oscar, and we met his wife Lila. Well, turns out that he's a member, but inactive- kinda the same situation as the Family Salinas. Anyway... we taught them twice then the third time Oscar wasn't there. We taught Lila and just went with it. Well, then we brought members and she began opening up to us. She is so wonderful. After we taught the word of wisdom we went back the next time to ask how she was doing with it. She said,
 "Great hermanas!"
 "Well, when was the last time you drank coffee?"
 "When was the last time you came??? Friday. Well, Friday in the morning." 
"Really?!?!"
 "WEll, yeah. If it's a commandment, I gotta do it!"
 We just need to get her to go to church. Her 3 year old is a handful and puts up a huge tantrum if we try to get him to go. We've tried candy and toys. The next option will be a little  member girl that we brought over once. But I'm getting her to church if it's the last thing I do!
 
I'm doing so great! I'm happy- even though I'm covered in ant bites, dirt, and sweat. Even though there's no running water and I shower with a bucket, and even though I have to wake up at 3 tomorrow morning so Hermana Rodriguez can go to the immigration office. I truly have found happiness in this gospel- not the happiness the world gives us, only the happiness and joy that we can find in this gospel.
 
I feel so blessed to have been raised knowing this truth, and more importantly that I can teach it to the world.
 
Love you so much!
-Hermana Snelson

No comments: