Monday, January 13, 2014

Well, hey there!

Hi everyone! I have so so much to say! :)

So changes were supposed to be on Wednesday- meaning we get the phone call Tuesday night then they happen on Wednesday. But it was raining really hard in Teguc, so they got moved to Thursday. Wednesday we were at the office so I could get some medicine for my bug bites when the elders called. I was off talking to some other elders, when I heard Hermana Zarate say, "The south?? Really??" I figured she was talking about me because well, I was the one most likely having changes. 

Things I new about the south before coming here:
1) It's more small town-y, dirt roads, houses made of cement and dirt, and less access to stuff.
2) It's very, very hot.
3) the people are wonderful, humble, and giving. From what I heard, it sounded like Africa- the people gave freely wtih what they had and were always happy.

Lots of feelings: I felt excited at first. I was leaving my first area, I was out of the city to explore more of Honduras. But then the reality set in of how isolated I would be and got a bit worried. We went home and I packed my stuff. Long story short- my two suticases, duffle bag, 2 backpackes, and then I ended up just stuffing the rest in my sheets and making a huge bundle. Apparently I've accumulated a lot of stuff in my short 6 months here. 

The next day we went to the stake center where I met Hermana Rodriguez!


 She is from BOLIVIA which is really unusual since pretty much everyone in my  mission is from Central America. She only has 3 months, and is just so so excited to be here. She is 19, and didn't go to college before her mission, but took English classes and she is AMAZING and speaks so well. I'm gonna have to record her so you can hear her. The funny thing is half of the zone didn't know she can speak english- she gets shy and embarrassed to speak it (kinda like my AFrican mother....) but! we talk while we walk in english and I told her we are going to make sure she's perfect by the time we separate.

The elders approached me after zone meeting "hey hermana, we heard you could cook, right?" (don't worry mom, I was just surprised as you were. Apparently I learned a thing or two!) well we need you to make a birthday cake" "what??" "no! Don't worry! It's a fake one!"

So, some old bread, construction paper, half an apple, frosting, orange Tang, and the little bits of fruit you buy to make fruit cake (which hondurans LOVE by the way) we had our very own fake birthday cake. For some prank or something.
 
 I was happy because they paid for some of my groceries, and bought us Frosty's today :)

Alright. So we drove down here and I was aware that it was kinda hot, but not like a dramatic heat wave. Apparently there's a "cold front" so it's cooler now, like 80 degrees. Hermana Rodriguez says I'm lucky since I'll be able to gradually get accostumed to the weather before Semana Santa, spring break, which is when it gets up to over a hundred. So that will be fun :) 
  But everything I've heard about it is true - the church really is expanding here in Choluteca and I love it! Hermana R joked that we're in Utah, the elders live like... 10 minutes  away and are in another ward. My bishop is amazing and all the ward members are so willing to help us and leave with us! We went to eat lunch yesterday (we get fed lunch everyday except monday (p-day) and thursday (lunch with the zone)) and asked if they had any references. They kinda explained where it was and then we asked if they could just leave with us. They said sure! So that night we went and contacted them and BAM 2 new investigators.


Random side note...
While we were teaching:

BROOKE Honduras has your curtains! These ninos were playing in them and saying "yohoo!" so I took pictures of them because they were hilarious and to show that Honduras is in with it!



Yes, I think I should adjust to the south just fine :)


I'm doing so great! Just getting to know my investigators and the area- all the streets look the same- but still going strong! :) I l hope you all had a great week, and I love you lots! :)

Hermana Snelson

No comments: