Monday, October 7, 2013

Week of Jose

The main things that happened this week:
-Watched general conference!
-Made a BUNCH of pancakes for the ward yesterday
-got a letter from Chanelley, Sister Johnson (California) and a lovely package from Aaron, thanks guys!
-and we had our first baptism! ...which is why this e mail is called the week of Jose.

Last Saturday (the week before Conference) we met with Jose. He called me the day before apologizing because he didn´t have any minutes, and had just bought some and we were the first he called. He came on Saturday and we asked how it was going with living the word of wisdom. He told us he was down to 2 cigarettes/day and choosing pepsi instead of beer. :) Then I asked how he was feeling right then. He told me "good, every time I walk in I just feel like all my cares are going away." I explained that´s because at the chapel, we can feel the spirit because it´s the house of the lord. I told him he could feel the influence of the holy ghost, but when someone is baptized, they receive the gift of the holy ghost. 
Well something clicked inside of him because he responded, "wasn´t I supposed to be baptized today?"
So we explained that he had to keep the word of wisdom for a week before his baptism, and the rest of his life. He got this real serious look, looked me in the eye and said, "okay, let´s do it." A game plan was made- he had to meet with us every day the week before his baptism, read the scriptures, pray every day, and of course, keep the word of wisdom.

There wasn´t any lesson plan- I honestly can´t remember everything I said as we sat in there, but I do know that the spirit was there, and it was helping guide Jose to feel that this was the choice he needed to make. At the end of the lesson I asked, "so what´s your goal this next week?" and he said, "to get baptized!" Woot!

Sunday- He came to church, and that night we met in the park and went over the baptismal questions with him. It was the best feeling because he is talker with a testimony! We reviewed the gift of repentance and he told us, "I think repentance is when we´ve done something bad and we know it´s bad but it´s hard to change. So we have to ask God to help us, but then we have to change. We can´t just tell God we want to and do nothing, we have to change too. Right? I think that´s right." 
And so it goes.

Monday- We were supposed to have family home evening with a member, but they canceled last minute so we ended up calling another member and ran over there. We decided to watch the restoration, and when we asked if we could watch a movie she told us the bad news- no dvd player. The computer maybe? No mouse. No matter! I´ve been trained by my brother Chad and was able to navigate and we were able to watch it.

Tuesday- On sunday we told Jose we didn´t have anything planned, so he invited us to dinner. He called us in the morning and told us to meet at Pizza Hut. Help me out here, when I think of Pizza Hut in the states I imagine maybe one, two tables, and a counter to order pizza and hot wings. Here it´s a classy affair- sit down, appetizers, the works.
 And I say the works because Jose wasn´t going to hold back. The first time I´ve eaten lasagna and quesadillas in Pizza Hut, while teaching the law of tithing. But that´s how we do it in Honduras. When the check came I said, "thank you so much!" 
"no, it´s nothing."
 "no really though, we appreciate it so much!" 
"really, it´s nothing. Compared to what you guys have given me, it´s nothing. And no matter how hard I try I will never be able to pay you back for the happiness you´ve given me."
And these are the moments when I wish I could just reach out and give him a hug!

Wednesday- We came to the church so he could learn about the family history center and temples and everything. We try to make sure they get the preisthood as soon as possible so they can go to the temple. He also had his interview with elder Preul, and passed! It was about a half hour long and I was worried but then I realized, like I said, he´s a talker with a testimony. :)

Thursday- Another family home evening! This time with the Elder Quorum and Relief Society President- they´re married.  Anyway, we talked about the preisthood and I am always so impressed by the way Jose handles what I consider "deeper" topics like baptims for the dead, and the preisthood as a whole. But he was stoked the entire time and loved everything. 

Friday- Jose called to say he was too busy with work, but would be at the church right at 8 for...


Saturday- the pancake activity!


 How do you lure someone to general conference? Promise them banana pancakes. Jose doesn´t like pancakes, so I made him eggs, but it was still pretty good and everyone loved the pancakes :) 


After the second session of conference, we were into action! Jose went and changed and we were running around trying to stop members from leaving. We had about 40 there, so not too shabby :) We took pictures (Jose is on the left, and Hno. M, elders quorum prez baptized) then went to the baptism! 

It was a great service and I just felt this huge amount of love. His baptism was exactly 2 months from the first day we met him and seeing the growth and change in him has been the most rewarding thing I have ever done. I felt so grateful to be able to be a part of this.

Hna. C and I were discussing what happened from that Saturday he decided to be baptized and before and we realized it was nothing we had done. We had done what we always do- talk to everyone, share our testimony, and share and teach the lessons. It was the spirit. It was God. It was a miracle.

Would Jose have gotten baptized if I hadn´t decided a year ago to serve a mission? Probably, yes. He was simply prepared by God to recieve the gospel at this time. But not only did Heavenly Father bless Jose by giving him the gospel, he blessed Hermana C. and I to be able to have the opportunity to teach him.

After the service we asked how he felt. 

"good. I feel good. The best I´ve ever felt, actually. Clean, and pure. And thanks to who?" "God?" "Jesus?" "Them too. But thanks to the two angels that God sent into my life to bring me the best present I´ve ever gotten. I will never be able to forget you."



No comments: