Monday, February 17, 2014

Let the Good Times Roll!

Not that I have forgotten you all, but I often come in here, read the e mails, take pictures of the ones I want to read later, and then think "Wow, that was quick!" then realize that I in fact failed to send out my weekly e mail.

Well, I'm alive! Talk to you next week!

Haha, anyway, a lot happened this week! I often don't realize what happened during the week because we're so busy moving on from one day to the next. It isn't until Sunday night when we count up all the stats for the week that I look at it and say "We did all of this this week??" But I love it. I'm so busy, time is flying way too fast, and I wouldn't ask for it any other way. :) 

1. Hermana's sleepover.
Don't worry, it was more spiritually edifying then it sounds. All the sisters here in the south (I think there were like... 25-30 of us?) went up to Tegucigalpa in the bus (don't worry, not school bus style, greyhound style)
 
 arrived at the mission home, got unpacked, ate sandwiches for dinner (moving here makes you appreciate things like washed lettuce and tomatoes on your sandwiches. Otherwise it's just ham and cheese) then we had our meeting. We talked about our divine potential, and specifically marriage. Man, if I thought they talked about marriage a lot in young womens, they talk about it at least 10 times more when you're a missionary. 
And you know why? It's because it's important! The more times the prophets and leaders speak about something, the more we need to pay attention and do it! Calm your horses, I'm not saying I'm getting married a month after I get home, it's just a lot more intimidating now because before when they would talk about eternal marriage, I'd just push it away and think, "eh, I don't need to worry about that until after my mission" but freak! I only have half my mission left! and I'm milking it for all it's worth.

It was a really good experience. One of the cool thing that happened was Hermana Flynn and I sang a song. Every companionship was supposed to do something together, so the four of us (Flynn, Ramierez, Rodriguez, and myself) did something, 
 
 
then Flynn and I sang a duet. We sang "Joseph Smith's first prayer" to the tune of come thou fount. We were going to record it this week, but I'll try to get to you next week :)
We actually sang it twice, once Sunday night then again Monday morning with the presidency from the temple (two of whom are from Utah. Mom and Dad, I'm predicting your next mission- Serving in the temple of Accra, Ghana, or South Africa). The last verse, where it says, “Joseph, this is my Beloved;
Hear him!” Oh, how sweet the word!
Joseph’s humble prayer was answered,
And he listened to the Lord."

We sang more soft. And then we sang louder "Oh, what rapture filled his bosom,
For he saw the living God."

I was paused briefly waiting to come in while Hermana Flynn was singing and saw a picture hanging on the wall of the first vision. 

Just all of this love and happiness flooded my heart. People say that we talk about Joseph Smith too much, and I feel that we are just trying to do justice for all that he sacrificed to bring the church about. In that instant I knew the words that I was singing were true- Joseph Smith truly was a prophet called of God. Through him, we restored the power and authority that we are blessed to use and exercise today, and I am so grateful for that!

2. We had interviews with President.
It made the day just feel really weird since we couldn't really work. My entire zone went to the stake center in the morning, where we met with President and he chatted to all of us. We got mail (I can't remember everyone, I'll let you know next week if I got your letters or not!) then went to eat lunch, then home to wait for President. We left after waiting a half hour to work, and then I got a call from The ZL's, then the phone cut out (no ones phones have been working for the last week) so I assumed they were coming. So we ran home, waited, then left again. Finally, President, Hermana Hernandez and the Zl's came. We had the interview in his car, and it went really really good. He emphasized how blessed I am to come from the family I come from and I just smiled and nodded because it's so true. I am the person I am because every one of my siblings influenced me to be the person I am today. And especially of course my wonderful parents. He told me, "Hermana Snelson, are you obedient? Are you working hard? Great, just keep doing what you're doing" and I told him I'd try my best :)

3. Cultural Night!
We decided to have a cultural night, and it actually turned out awesome! Each organization was in charge of a performance. The youth danced salsa and bachata, the primary kids sang "if you're happy and you know it" and the missionaries sang!

The missionaries sang?!?!

Well, went we went to the hermana's sleepover, we wanted to mix it up. Those who have seen "Pitch Perfect" have seen "cup singing" where you tap the cup to sing with it. So we sang "Give said the little stream" while we tapped the cups. It was great- everyone loved it! And now anytime I'm listening to any church song I think, "Hey, I could probably play this song with a cup!

This week was great- every week was great. :) This change is already over on Wednesday.. crazy! If we have changes (there's a fifty fifty chance. My comp has been here for 4 and a half months. They usually leave people in their first area for 6 months, but who knows!) we'll find out tomorrow. WE'll see! :)
 
And for some pictures:
 
We went to visit one of our less actives and he just finished building some swings and suggested we try them out. We of course couldn't turn down the offer ;)
 
 

Bishop Rivera
 

We just climbed a tree after a lesson. Haha :)
 
 

Love you so much! :)

-Hermana Snelson

No comments: