Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Another exciting week!



I saw this today while we were walking home from the store and realized I have not taken many pictures this week, so this happened :)

I feel like most of my days this last week were normal... normal for what is my new normal anyway :) Waking up in the morning, and attempting to work out in my room (which is tiny) and always looks hilarious. Then I shower, put on clothes, and start eating breakfast and finish up while I´m starting personal study. The goal for personal study is half in English and half in Spanish which actually helps a ton because when I´m reading my scriptures or PMG in Spanish I already have a small idea of what is going on and helps me gain vocabulary easier. Then we have comp study which is for 2 hours since I´m a greeny :) Right now that consists of practicing the lessons and watching the District for and hour, and then specifically practicing for our different investigators. So Spanish is coming along great :)

If we don´t have a lunch appointment then we make it ourselves, but pretty much every day we have a lunch appointment. We venture to where ever that is, which is often out of our area since there are only 5 families in our area. Then we go out to teach! Always always opening our mouth along the way.


                                                                      
 Funny story here:
 Hermana Concoha got a bunch of clothes from an old comp, and when we finished laundry she put the shirt on my bed because she thought it was mine! No siree, we have twinner shirts! The picture isn't the best... the member that took them is a little older but eh, it´s the best we could do.



The most progressing investigators are:
Ignacio: he´s the security guard in our neighborhood, and went to church 2 weeks ago for those who aren´t up to date :) He has a baptismial date for this Sunday because he has work on Saturday, so we´re planning on baptising him before church which means we have to get the entire ward to come to church at 8. We taught him about propehts last night (thus the picture. We teach him in the street and I realized just how hilarious this looked to passersby) and he was super stoked on it. Well, he loves everything we teach. Like, when we taught about tithing the other day. I initiate every lesson, so I started by asking "do you know what tithing is?" and he thought and then said, "Okay, I don´t know if this is right, but I think it´s when we give a part of what we have to the Lord because he gives us so much already. It´s like if I have 100 limpiras, then I give god 10. I think. I don´t know. Is that right?" Hna. C and I sat there for a bit in shock and then I said, "Uh, yeah, that´s right! But let´s talk about it more." So yeah, he loves the church, loves everything we taught him, immediately stopped drinking coffee, the works. But last night he was saying he was scared because it felt like a big commitment. So we explained for the umpteenth time that no one is perfect. I was baptized when I was EIGHT. I mean, I was no where as strong with my testimony as I am now, and we still have to grow and progress everyday, enduring to the end. 

Well, we went back in the night with our mission leader We thought he needed a friend, and someone else to help him realize he is in fact ready. It was harder because he´s busier in the night because there´s more cars, but we managed to make it through. Hermano Helaman brought up that he has an enternal family who is sealed in the temple and Ignacio got interested in that. So we are going to teach about the preisthood wtih a member tonight for FHE (because you have to have the preisthood before going to the temple to do baptisms) We are praying and praying everything is working out. I feel like it is, and I mean, the Lord has a plan but that doesn´t mean that I don´t want to see the future sometimes ;)


Noraly: I have no idea if I´ve talked about Noraly before.. Oh I did! Because we were hoping she´d go to church... Disclaimer: she didn´t. Which is frustrating because the other night we finished teaching about the plan of salvation and she loved it! And then I asked her "have you had an opportunity to pray about the book of mormon?" and she said no, but then she said "but i meditate after I read it, and, I believe it is true. I believe it was written by propehts who were called from God and Joseph Smith is one of them." 

Oh, well alright then. When can we baptize you?
Well so we called her Saturday night and she didn´t answer which is weird because she always answers her phone or always tells us when she is running late or something. So we were worried something was wrong. We managed to finally find her sister (after going to her house for the 3rd time that day) who explained that she was off doing something for school with her friend. She is in one of her last years of dental school, so a lot of her schooling is going to orphanages and other clinics and doing dental work. So we´re hoping to contact her today or tomorrow... hopefully this next week we can get her to a baptism and church in one fail swoop :)


Our other investigators aren´t going to church or aren´t keeping their commitments, so that´s all for now :)

I´m alive, well, and loving everyday that I am here. There is truly so much power in serving a mission because literally everyday I learn something new and grow. And I mean, that´s how it is the entire mission! As President Nicholyasen in the CCM told us before we left: "They send you out there and train you and teach you everything they possibly can, and once you´ve learned it all, then you go home." So really it isn´t just these first 3 months in the field, it´s the entire mission, I´m being prepared for my LIFE. 



Random fact: Close by our house is a strip center with little ceasars, burger king, dunkin doughnuts, and pop eyes. Pretty close by our house is pizza hut and wendy´s, and there´s also a mcdonald´s pretty close to the church. So yeah, America isn´t that far away :)




And now some questions I have been asked:

How's everything going for you and Sis C?
 It is going great! A few cultural differences but you know, I had that even with Jen Bennett and she´s from Canada. But I love it, and I love my little "mamacita"
  Were you able to get any investigators to church yesterday?
 Just one. It was super random because we have inviting him for weeks. Miguel has been taught all the lessons and has been challenged for baptism like... .10 times and each time he´s like "eh, better not." So Hermana C wanted to cool off, and then I arrived! His aunt he lives with is less active, but has been going to church a lot more since I´ve been here. So every time we are over there, it´s kind of just to say hey, and teach them about faith. His aunt Emilina LOVES us and is always asking when we can come over for dinner, if she can do our laundry or anything else for us. She told us yesterday she wants to go to the temple, so we´re gonna prepare her for that because she wants to do the baptisms for her family. Anyway, Miguel just showed up out of the blue and sits by me and says "Buenos dias!" so out of habit I respond and then I was like "Miguel oh my gosh it´s you!" So yeah, he came with Emilina, but I´m frustrated because Miguel is just such a punk. 
Have you guys found a method for contacting that works well for you? 
hmm... Street contacting? We aren´t allowed to knock on doors- too dangerous. The mission goal is to have every missionary "open the mouth" ten times a day, which means going up to people in the street. So that´s just what we do! Luckily, the culture here is completely different. Example: Yesterday there was a guy in the street working on his car, so I walk up and say "good afternoon, how are you!" and he responds eaqually as friendly. I always immediately jump to the chase "can we share this pamphlet with you? It´s about Jesus Christ." I have only gotten rejected twice, both times becuase they were in a hurry. They normally say "oh, yes of course!" (mas o menos, translating is tricky) "great! we´re missionaries for the church of jesus christ of latter day saints. Do you know any mormons?" yes, or no. and then "well that´s great! We would love to share our message with you in your house, where do you live?" then they point because no one uses an address here. It´s only "um the house in the 3rd street, on the left hand side, and it´s green". Mom you would do great with directions! That is why my mailing address is so long. ANYWAY. Then we get their number. Then it´s a toss up because sometimes we call and they say "oh sorry, can you call next week?" but about half of the time they say "yeah, sure!" and then normally half of those are home or show up. So yep, that´s our method. I don´t know if anyone has any better ideas?
 Do you keep in touch with Sis Butler? If so, how's she doing? 
I sent that darling a letter my first week here, but one of these days I´m gonna e mail all the adorable pictures of us because, let´s be honest, we were totally the cutest in the CCM ;) I´m assuming she´s loving the work like me, and a new country but when I get an update I´ll send it out :)
 How you doing- feeling good?
 I´M GREAT! I´m a missionary! I´m doing something I´ve dreamed of, and never thought I could be doing at this time in my life! Everyday is a new exciting adventure which is good because I cannot stand doing the same thing everyday! I´m learning, I´m loving, and I couldn´t ask for a better thing to do for the next 18 months :) (I guess 16.. happy 2 months!)

LOVE YOU ALL! :)

Hermana Snelson

No comments: