Monday, November 4, 2013

Hello from Honduras!

This week was another great one!

First of all: thanks for the letters from Elder Baird (in Texas, and doing great!), Miss Brooke Michele, Elder Walton (still loving Japan and eating crazy new food) and a letter and package from Mr. Weaver, who is preparing to serve the people of Mexico! 

Fun things that happened:

On Monday Hermana C's "daughter" (I have no idea if other missions use these terms... your children are the people that you trained) called saying that she was in the city because she is sick. So we decided to get lunch together. We got food, chatted, and surprised Hermana T (one of my crazy Mexican roommates from the CCM) was there too so it was a huge party with us and their comps. Well, we went on to write our families, and they called to ask if they could stay at our place. alright then. So now we had to fit 4 more sisters at our apartment. Well, after writing we met up wtih the sisters, bought tortillas and avocado so I could make baleadas for dinner, and Hermana C left with some sisters to get blankets from a neighbor. Have I mentioned that we only have one table and 2 chairs? We ate on the floor but it was hilarious and tons of fun. After, some were still hungry so we made smores too. 





This is miss Hermana T, who is from Utah and was in the CCM with me ;) 
I ended up sleeping on the floor, sharing a mattress with another Hermana.

Welcome to the mission, always an adventure.

The next day we went to the mission office with them, then ate at Tipicos where I finally took a picture of my food. Don´t worry, we shared, but oh gosh it´s so so good.



To anyone who wants to come to Honduras, we´ll share a plate at Tipicos, my treat :)




Wednesday there was an activity at the church with the Relief Society to make soap. We´re trying to get Rosa more involved, and she was excited to learn, so we made soap! It´s pretty easy, just stick the ingredients in a bucket, but the trickiest part is you have to... blend it.

 
 Our arms were exhausted by the end of it but there was a lot of laughter and fun :) 


Thursday was Halloween! Oh wait, no one celebrates Halloween here. The ZL´s made an effort to dress up, but I was definitely feeling baggy and already had my costume picked out for 2 years! (disclaimer, it´s a peacock) 



The rest of our time is the same as always, running around our area



 teaching less actives, Catholic priests who invite us over "just to chat about Jesus" and always always looking for new investigators.



And now some updates:

Jose: He is amazing! We brought a new investigator to church yesterday, and as soon as I said, "Jose, will you take him to class?" he was on it and during class was helping him find the scriptures and explaining things. Someone asked him to share his testimony about missionary work, and like always he said,
 "I´m so grateful I opened my heart to these two beautiful angels, because without them, I have no idea where I´d be."
 He even got a calling! He´s the secretary for the Elders Quorum, (the president baptized him- they´re the best of friends) and was super stoked when he was told he would have a calling. He has the biggest desire to learn EVERYTHING. He is literally counting down the days until he can go to the temple, and every lesson turns into a 2 hour discussion about the Book of Mormon. 

Plus, once he finishes school (did you know he´s a pilot?) he promised to pick me up in Africa and take me back here to go to the beach :)

The Family Salinas: They are amazing as well! They just love, love love the gospel. Allison is still determined to be a missionary. The other day she asked, "hermana Snelson, what class is after Relief Society?" 
I explained that we are pretty much there until the day that we die. She got confused, thought for a moment, then asked 
"so what class do I have to take to be a missionary?" 
bless her little heart. I explained the entire process, and she looked with rapt attention. 
"GOD picks where I serve? Wow."
 Katherine is just as stoked. The other night she grabbed my stack of pamphlets and said, 
"Okay, Tonight I´m missionary Salinas. Let´s talk about the word of wisdom. Now, we know that our body is a temple so we have to treat it with respect....." 
Katia is the only one we are concerned about. She is shy, and is at that age where the girls just don´t know how to act. And because she´s 11 she just wants to be in Young Womens. So she´s our focus now. 

They really are my second family. Tonight, they´re making us a huge dinner, and I´m bringing pictures of the parents to show to my honduran dad what my African dad is up to :)


Love you kids! Remember to see the little miracles God places in our lives each and everyday ;) 



No comments: